Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Boxer Is Gone

First off, the Green Bay Packers get to play at home against the Giants for the Conference Championship - hell yes! I am so excited about that.

I went out tonight to the FAA show (Dylan Gilbert, The Bronze Episode, Bottle Up and Go, Tereu Tereu) and hung around for most of it. I didn't take anybody along for the ride, which could have been pretty weird, but I guess I'm sort of used to it. I saw some familiar faces and it wasn't so bad hanging out by myself at a show. It would have been way better but I wasn't way into the first two acts. I would have been interested to see Dylan Gilbert with a full band - he had lots of presence and energy - but, The Bronze Episode just wasn't my cup of tea (though the lead vocalist did play the Palo Escrito Tele that I'm going to get next week). Bottle Up and Go were exciting to watch - loud, bluesy, gutsy, and just fun. I don't think I could listen to it at home, but for a live show it was some cool shit. I left during their last song mainly I think because Mark called and I walked out to answer, but also because I felt sort of old and sort of tired.

I talked to Phelan (Bassist, Rocky's Revival) and we'll probably be getting started with recordings in a few weeks. I'm really excited. These guys are an extremely gifted band...and SO YOUNG! I think Phelan said he was the oldest and a junior in high school(?!). Insane! It should be a lot of fun to work with them, plus I could use a little extra butter.

In other news, I wrote a song a couple days ago to solidify the fact that I am over my writer's block (knock on wood). I went old school with it and went down to Hyperion with a pack of cigarettes (gasp!) and a notebook and wrote all the lyrics. I came back and it just shot out. Mark really liked it and I'll probably get down to recording it this week, along with 'Brilliant Moon'. I really need to get some work done. It's called 'The Boxer is Gone'.

I'll post the lyrics:

I feel like the fog
Rolling over everything
I feel like the fog
Rolling over everything
Never changing anything

I don’t know what’s wrong with me
Watching cars on William Street
Nobody wants my company

In this town, in this shape, out of tune
I’m waiting for my noon
I’m waiting for high noon

Got marks on my hands
I’m the hole in my plans
I’m cut at the lip
Cos I froze in the snow
The boxer is gone, I know

I don’t know how to take this light
Everything gets washed to white
The exposure’s never right

In this town, in this shape, out of tune
I’m waiting for my noon
I’m waiting for high noon
I’m a shout in a wave crashing soon
I’m waiting for my noon
I’m waiting for high noon

No comments: